I am delighted to be elected Chairman of St Ives Hockey Club. I believe St Ives is a club that covers all the bases – the hockey is great and thriving; but not only that, the social and family ethos is envied by every club I know.
Before I do anything else, I need to extend a huge thank you to all those who Captained, Umpired, Coached, Parented, Played, Organised and to all those who helped the club run last season. In particular, I need to thank:
- Jules Jones who as Chairman drove the club forwards and oversaw 3 seasons in charge
- Tracey Jago, who as Ladies Section Rep ran the Ladies section, guiding the four ladies’ teams throughout the season
- Tim Jones, Mens Section Rep, who worked with the captains of five teams to achieve lots of positive results & performances across the section
- Matt Jago, Kit Officer who ordered, liaised with suppliers and organised Playing, Social & Training Kit
- Helen Clarke – who led Coaching, Lead Coach & Club Development since 2013. Helen has overseen a huge transition of the club with more qualified and homegrown coaches, providing more training time and more sessions accessible to the members
- Sally King - Social - who ran the End of Season Dinner & Awards nights and socials through the year.
For myself and when it comes to hockey, enthusiasm is my strongest suit – alas I leave skill to others. I started at Liverpool University in ’78, captained West Bridgford (Nottingham) 3rds, Bicester 2nds and Hunts (remember them?). Of course, in the 70s it was a different game – grass and bigger sticks (wistful sigh).
Some of you may have know me for my Captaincy of the Men’s 5ths for five years, two years ago. It was my privilege to lead the team, through which many of our top younger men had their first experience of the senior game. Guess what – I am going to be 5th team Captain again!
Outside of hockey, I am a mechanical engineering consultant and (currently) designer of electric trains. I am also Public Governor for the Cambridge and Peterborough Foundation Trust which is our community health provider..
You will see me out on the pitch with the men’s 5ths so if you have any suggestions or comments please do not hesitate to catch me before or after the game or indeed anytime you see me. I am also available through the website and at the array of social events coming up in the next year, so I look forward to getting to know every player (and parent where applicable).
St Ives is a very special club and I am determined to help keep it that way. As always, we are short of volunteers for a number of small tasks so please do let us know if you can help in any way. But, based on the management team I have met so far, the future it is looking great!